My passion...shared!

My passion...shared!
Triathletes...We're gifted in a little bit of everything! (Jealous?)

Monday, November 5, 2012

Creature of Habit or The Change-up

So when I got into triathlons, one of the things I loved about it was the variety.  Three sports along with some gym time and yoga too meant I wouldn't get bored doing the same thing.  I am a bit of a mix in that I am a creature of habit, I like structure and routine but I don't like when the routine is exactly the same.  I know, it's an oxymoron sort of statement but it's true and those elements of my 'personality' are beginning to reveal themselves in my workouts again. 
Since this is considered my 'off season', more training and getting down to the nitty-gritty of fine tuning my body, form in the pool, cardio work etc... I am mixing up my workouts more than I ever have.  I bought the P90X workouts awhile ago and then stepped it up, (because of course I got bored with the same routines) and up'd the anty and got 'Insanity' and also have all the goods from my tri-coach which of course is much more tri specific.  I have no reason to get bored now, thankfully.  As a result I am sore in places I forgot I used when I worked out.  That is a good thing! 
I did the Insanity workout today and I can say that the first 15 minutes of what is considered the 'warm up' is more than what some full fledged workouts are.  It's insane, really!  The interval training does really get the entire body moving and you feel it in those specific areas before you're even done the workout.  I have never done a triceps exercise while at the exact same time have it be an ab/crunch exercise, it's crazy good.  So if you are like me and you want more than the three workouts that typical triathletes do, then mix it up this 'off season'. 
If you don't want to invest in the workouts I have mentioned then check out http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/10/18/day-4-train-from-the-heart-workout/.  It's a site I found the other day, and they have some 15 minute interval workouts that are pretty good and they are free.  You can just click  and work out with them.  Make sure you use your discretion when doing the workouts as I honestly don't know if they are certified trainers etc...  It's nice to have the ability to mix things up so it's there if you want to do some. 

What's that saying...'the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results'.   No dig on the Insanity workouts as they are just insanely good at kicking your butt.  But change is good, test yourself and see what you can do to mix it up.  You might be surprised that you like it too!  Enjoy the diversity, it's what makes the world go round.

Oh and don't forget to VOTE!!! 
Triathleta

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your Greatest Inspiration? What keeps you moving forward? To Pay it Forward? To stay healthy? Share your Passion? Make your mark on the Sport of Triathlon?