My passion...shared!

My passion...shared!
Triathletes...We're gifted in a little bit of everything! (Jealous?)

Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Foam Roller...Oh What a Relief It Is!

As athletes, especially triathletes, we have areas on our bodies that get really tight throughout all the training we subject ourselves to.  I know for myself, when I was younger, I loved to stretch.  I started dancing and gymnastics when I was 4 and stretching/warming up was a huge part of my workouts, yes, even at 4. Ha!  Over the 30+ years I have been exercising, for whatever reason, I don't stretch as much as I used to.  I have to admit, I notice that I feel tighter in certain areas and of course, have experienced more injury which inevitably took me out of training all together.  So how can we avoid this.  This round Tootsie Roll like device is where it's at.  The foam roller.  It is a must if you workout and train.

My chiropractor is an Ironman triathlete so he 'gets' me and my injuries, or as I like to think of them now, former injuries.  I had severe knee pain for a really long time and I had been told that it wasn't that the issue was in my knee, it was my hips, they were not stable and would shift, one forward, one backward which would put stress on my IT band, which connected to the tendons in my lower leg and the pain would present itself on the outside of my knee.  I swear it felt like someone was stabbing me in there and twisting it around, digging in deeper with every twist.  It was so painful.  I often rain through it, you know, the 'no pain, no gain' scenario we all have been told, believed in etc... But one thing I have learned from my Doc is that when you feel the pain, you need  to listen to it.  Listen to your body.  When you have pain in a specific area, you body is telling you that it needs to be addressed.  Whether it's an adjustment, a massage, PT or a little home remedy I have learned to love is the trusty little foam roller!  Yes I agree a full body deep tissue massage once a week would be heavenly, but if it's not in the budget, getting a $20 foam roller can be the next best thing and you can use it whenever you want.  Watching TV, get on the floor and roll  while your watching.  It helps distract from the pain, for me anyway, when I am focusing on something else.  There are so many body parts you can work on as well.  Calf muscles, IT band, hips, hamstrings, shoulders, low back, anywhere on your back actually, your shoulders, thighs.  It works just about anywhere and can go with you to, when you travel, so you can make sure you loosen up good before and after a race.  

I have seen some candid self portraits of athletes sitting in baths of ice trying to treat sore muscles after long hard races or workouts, and I have to say I have done that as well. But a great massage before the ice start the healing process might just help even more.  When I started using the foam roller, I could barely role for a full minute, I was a hurt'n unit and I didn't think it was going to get any better, but I kept with it.  I tried to roll even if I hadn't run, as running is when I noticed it the most.  I would roll just to try and work the tight muscle out.  The more I rolled, the more I noticed other areas on my legs that were tight.  It was like opening a can of worms, I was never going to get to all of it.  But now, months later, I roll without as much pain.  The knots are not completely gone, nor are all the tight tendons, but they are much better than they were this summer.  I can roll for a good 5-10 minutes on one leg, without being in complete pain.  These foam rollers are the best invention for anyone who is too busy to stop for a full massage, on a budget or just want a way to workout the sore muscles whenever you need to.

I have a link on my website,  on the home page.  It is a link to a yoga store where you can get an extra 25% off your purchases.  So if you are looking for a foam roller, or maybe a few, depending on how many you may need, you can get a few at a great discount.   They also have different density rollers, some have a 'firm' feel (usually the blue or colored rollers) and some are a bit more forgiving (usually the white rollers).  Maybe get one of each and work your way up to a firm roller.  They really do work wonders and are a must 'supplement' to the triathletes 'must - have' list.
There's still time before Christmas, could be a really filling stocking stuffer, depending how big of a stocking you have.  ;-)  So until next time, happy rolling.

One last thing, the first monthly Triathleta Newsletter is in production now and getting ready for the first issue this coming New Year, January.  So for more tips, articles from the experts and ramblings from an age group triathlete, sign up on my home page.  Just click the Triathleta.com image to the right and you'll go straight to the  page.

And keep on rolling...

One last thing, if you are looking to maybe 'win' a new bike, check this out!  From Santa himself, a new red tri-bike!  

Caroline / Triathleta








No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your Greatest Inspiration? What keeps you moving forward? To Pay it Forward? To stay healthy? Share your Passion? Make your mark on the Sport of Triathlon?