My passion...shared!

My passion...shared!
Triathletes...We're gifted in a little bit of everything! (Jealous?)

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Work Is Play, And Play Is Serious Business

Well it's been a few weeks since I wrote on my blog.  Guess I can chalk it up to writers block or maybe just juggling a bunch of different things and too much on my mind to sit long enough to write.  But today was a play day for some and a work day for others, not to different from any other Saturday I guess.  But, for some, the play was all business and for a few others, the work, was play time.  I am talking of course, about a triathlon.

Today, very early this morning, I volunteered for a triathlon that was one of the kick off races for the season here in Colorado.  We have to wait a bit longer for the weather, and the water, to warm up so it's a bit later than other states around the country who have already had a few races.  Normally, I would rather play, and race.  But I am doing a bit of research for my own race to come next summer and I know that it's nice to give back to other races and athletes and help out with the production side of things.  So today I was the 'body marker' and the 'back up run timer'.  Fun, fun.  I realized marking on muscular arms is more difficult than the less muscular arms, but I'm not complaining!   '-)

There was a last minute change to the race as well.  The barricade company who was supplying the necessities for the bike course,  closed its doors, for good, the night before the race.  Not so good news.  So the race directors were sent scampering all over the city for other companies.  It proved to be a futile and difficult task as the remaining companies had already rented there barricades to another race, The Colfax Marathon,  tomorrow!  So the triathlon was out of luck, and the only alternative was to 86 the bike portion of the triathlon.  So the triathlon became an 'aquathon' if you will, Swim then Run and your done.  But regardless of the removal of the bike portion, athletes were still ready to race.  Some still came with their bikes, as emails are not always reviewed on a Friday night!  A few triathletes decided to do a group ride after the race to get in a bike anyway.  So all was not lost.

So, the work for the race directors and the volunteers was still work, but it was also play.  Volunteers are often triathletes training for another race and just want to help out their fellow triathletes.  But for those that came to play, even without the bike, it's still serious.  Transitions were fast, wetsuits were pulled off with expert speed and the run was attacked with the usual fervor of a race with the bike still in play.  The hot sun was masked only by a few large clouds that saved the triathletes from a 'hot' morning and the clouds parted just moments after the last finisher crossed the finish line.  A perfect race day, warm enough but not too warm. What  more could you ask for. 

So, now that race season is officially under way, it should be a great summer.  I have 7 more races I am volunteering for, one is a kids triathlon, and I can't wait for that one, should be really fun to watch.  Of course, I am back training as well, but with all the work on the website and pre race production work and trying to find another job in design to keep me going financially, I have little time to really concentrate on racing.  So I'm just working out, building my base I call it.  My day in Kona will come, I'm not worried about it.  I've got other important things to do that involve other people than just myself.  When I get that done, I will have more time to focus on my racing.  Until then, I know I will enjoy body marking the descendants of muscular Greek gods that show up on race morning and cheer on all the new friends I am making while on this journey.

So if you haven't had the opportunity to volunteer for a triathlon or any other type of race, I highly suggest to do so.  Yes, it's an early morning, but the t-shirts are great little bonuses and for the most part, your fellow athletes will appreciate you, even if they forget to say it.

Until next time...

Caroline / Triathleta

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your Greatest Inspiration? What keeps you moving forward? To Pay it Forward? To stay healthy? Share your Passion? Make your mark on the Sport of Triathlon?