My passion...shared!

My passion...shared!
Triathletes...We're gifted in a little bit of everything! (Jealous?)

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

Ok so how many of you have been munching on Halloween candy?  Guilty!  But thankfully only a few little mini candies.  I can walk down an isle in a grocery store full of candy and never once desire to grab a bag and bring them home, but if they are in a bowl, starring at me, I'll grab em'.  I hate that!  ;0)
So the cold weather hasn't completely arrived here in sunny Colorado, but it's coming no doubt.  We have been enjoying 70+ degree weather lately.  When the cold does finally arrive I start to layer on the goods.  I ran track in college and it had to be 40 degrees in order for a track meet to go on, any colder and they'd cancel.  Needless to say I became accustomed to running in the cold and with a ton of clothes on.  When I first started racing Triathlons I felt naked when I came out of the water.  I was putting on shorts and pulling them down on my hips, my friends would yell at me later telling me I was wasting precious time pulling up those shorts and I didn't need to wear them.  It took some getting used to, running around in a bathing suit.  Now we wear a bit more with the 'tri-suits', but it's much less than cold weather training.
This weekend we get an hour back, Woohoo!  But that means if you train in the evening, it's going to be dark and cooler.  Long sleeves, running tights, ear warmers, mittens (better than gloves, fingers together stay warmer).  If I can't find my mits I wear a pair of socks.  It works in a pinch.  And of course reflective gear and a head lamp.  I run part of the time on the road and part of the time in a park, dirt trail, so cars aren't an issue, but seeing the ground usually helps.  So stay warm and stay safe out there running in the dark.  Don't think a car is going to see you, they usually don't in my experience, so let them go first and you know you'll be good crossing streets.  Here is a link with some 'cold weather' tips.  I got a laugh out of the last one.  Sorry guys...the girls aren't that much of an issue.  http://www.runquick.com/corcorn/coldweather.html
Triathleta

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your Greatest Inspiration? What keeps you moving forward? To Pay it Forward? To stay healthy? Share your Passion? Make your mark on the Sport of Triathlon?