My passion...shared!

My passion...shared!
Triathletes...We're gifted in a little bit of everything! (Jealous?)

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Discipline is actually easier.

Ok so the last few weeks I have been off the typical triathlon training regimen and was messing around with other workouts I have at home.  But after the New Year and my birthday, Jan. 2, I always take a big look at what I want to do, how I am going to do it and try, (the operative word) to create a path that will lead me where I want to go.  So since I didn't have a place to swim I needed to get that in place immediately, and sure enough as soon as I did, my birthday present to me, I was back in the routine. 

I remembered one thing of what I know so well about myself, is that I love structure.  Some people hate discipline, kids hate being 'disciplined', but in reality it actually makes things easier.  Having a plan, some sort of structure to your day planned out makes my life so much easier.  Oddly enough, it actually allows me to be more spontaneous with my free time, because I know the stuff that I was supposed to do is done, so now I can do whatever I want. 
The last few years have been a bit crazy, job layoff, trying to stay in a career field that wasn't hiring or if  they were hiring, it was kids out of school, no one was adding anyone who knew a thing or two about design and architecture, so trying to have my normal 'routine' over this time has been futile at best.

Creating this website was the best idea I've had over this time and it's something that I am working on every day to try and grow.  I am working on getting a store open to support the website and want to do even more than that, but I'm going to try not to jynks myself and spill all the beans just yet.  Hopefully you'll stick around to see what it is.  But I am psyched about getting back into full training mode, back in the pool, back on the bike and up'g the mileage on my runs.  I have to say I do feel it more now that I am older, only by three days as of today, but I feel like it's going to be a good year.  So many possibilities to all the ideas I have and so many more with the triathlon season just on the horizon.  Spring will be here before you know it and the running club will be under way, races will be filling up.  It's a great way to spend your life, being a triathlete.  Even when your sore from running to much, spend an extra 500 meters with your kick board, it really helps loosen up the legs.  I did that the other day and it felt great.  I don't know, maybe I am just bias because I have loved this sport for so long and I know how much better my life is when I am in 'discipline' mode, training, getting what I need done, done, and move on to the next project.  It makes me feel like I am moving forward instead of just doing the same ole' thing and feeling stuck.  I know I hate that stagnant feeling, I have always loved change, big change at that.  I've always learned new things I never would have had I not made the effort.  So when you really think about it, those old commercials about the military getting more done before 9:00 AM than most people do all day, is probably very true, because those guys/gals are disciplined!!  And I bet they love it...

So get out your training log, set up your week next week, first full week of January in the new year 2013 and set up your goals.  Be disciplined, you might find that you like it to.

Cheers
Caroline /Triathleta




No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your Greatest Inspiration? What keeps you moving forward? To Pay it Forward? To stay healthy? Share your Passion? Make your mark on the Sport of Triathlon?